5 Steps to Begin Healing After Abortion
After abortion, many come to a point of asking themselves, “Okay, so I had an abortion. But that is in the past. Do I really need to be healed?”
Some women seemingly never need to work through any kind of healing process. But for many, the memory of the abortion lies hidden within, like an infection, weakening and impairing us in ways we never realize.
Common responses after abortion include, but are not limited to:
- A reluctance to talk about the subject of abortion
- Experiencing emotions like guilt, anger, or sorrow when discussing/thinking about a past abortion
- Thinking of life in terms of “before” and “after” the abortion
- Lingering feelings of resentment or anger toward people involved in the abortion, such as the baby’s father, friends, or parents
- Avoidance of relationships or becoming overly dependent on others after the abortion
- Experiencing a vague sort of emptiness, a deep sense of loss, or prolonged periods of depression
- Ongoing nightmares, flashbacks, or hallucinations relating to the abortion experience
If you are post-abortive, here are five steps to healing any pain that may reside in your heart:
Understand you are not the only one that chose abortion and that peace is possible – Abortion providers statistics say that 1 in 3 American women have experienced abortion. Abortion recovery programs have helped tens of thousands end abortion’s negative effects in their lives.
- Realize that tears rid the body of toxins and bring healing – Many falsely believe that if they begin to cry, they won’t be able to stop.
- Research the symptoms of Abortion PTSD – If you relate to three or more of these symptoms, an abortion recovery class could help.
- Discover your local abortion recovery ministries – Pathways Pregnancy Help Center offers these services, along with physical, emotional and psychological support to those in unplanned pregnancies.
- Obtain a copy of Her Choice to Heal: Finding Spiritual and Emotional Peace After Abortion –This resource written by Sydna Masse includes details on the pain many experience after abortion along with healing chapters that help individuals begin the healing process.
Tuesday 12PM – 8PM
Wednesday 10AM – 4PM
Thursday 10AM – 4PM
*Other times available by appointment
Pathways Pregnancy Help Center
480 Pierce Street, Suite 320
Kingston, PA 18704
Pathways does not perform or refer for abortion, or offer any medical services. We are not a medical clinic and the information on our site is for the purpose of giving you the opportunity to make a truly informed choice about your pregnancy.